Harmony Hill and the wonderful people who live there are fictional.
Some of the stories they tell have been inspired by real people in my life.
I hope you enjoy my work. Most of the credit should go to my three sons
for the inspiration and spark of insanity I needed to write this entertaining blog.




Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why Am I So Happy?

My lot in life has been carefully drawn
From my experiences both past and present
Everything I possess is mine you see
For it is the life that I have chosen

The good, the bad, the happy and sad
I cherish with all my heart
To give one up I may lose the rest
And be left with a heart that's hard or frozen

Many think the choice I've made
Is a waste of my God given talent
I work night and day without pay
There's not a minute I truly can call my own

But I wouldn't trade one moment
No matter what the prize
To be a millionaire, a movie star
Or a queen sitting on a throne

For I am a stay-at-home mother
A vocation that has lost some respect
A life most people view as to hard
Constantly full of giving and no take

It's because I have found the secret
Handed down through generations long past
True happiness can be found when you
Sing a lullaby, play a game or bake a cake

But don't take my word for it
Take a moment out of your busy life
Let your eyes and ears be truly open
Go on your own spiritual quest

You will find the world is full of people
Each with their own secret dreams
Which they will often abandon
For a life that others think is best

At first when you look at these people
You may think that they have it all
Oh what you wouldn't give
To have all that material treasure

But do their eyes light up and shine
When they are telling you their story
Did you laugh and giggle
Was hearing it a pleasure

Then there are the full-time caregivers
One of which is known as the
Lowly stay-at-home mother
She has nothing to show for her trouble

Why you may ask isn't she out there
Getting a life and crunching the numbers
Instead of trying to teach her child
How to blow a bubble

It is because she possess the wisdom
To invest in something unique
With a payoff most people find
A little hard to comprehend

The unconditional love of a child
The joy of a life that's complete
And the contented slumber that comes
When her day finally comes to an end

They say the choice is your
As long as you agree with them and decide
To always take care of number one
Get out there, grab life, have fun

Well I have chosen to live life differently
I happily gave when others took
But instead of coming up empty
I found that my cup doth over run

I don't know if you consider my
Words to be full of wisdom
Or just some rambling from
Someone with out a clue

But when I find a quiet moment
When I'm truly alone with myself
Thoughts of family fill me with laughter
I was wondering... is it the same for you?