Harmony Hill and the wonderful people who live there are fictional.
Some of the stories they tell have been inspired by real people in my life.
I hope you enjoy my work. Most of the credit should go to my three sons
for the inspiration and spark of insanity I needed to write this entertaining blog.




Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Please Help Me Understand


Will someone please explain war to me
Because I am unable to comprehend
How killing innocent people
Will ensure our freedom in the end


The history books are full of facts and figures
Of battles lost and won
But where is the peace and security
For the family who just buried their son

Does anyone remember watching the lottery
How we all prayed for our brother or a friend
Making God silent promises if only their
"Number" would be somewhere near the end

I saw my grandfather's eyes fill with tears
As he watched young men going off the war
He said fighting for your country is an honor
But his eyes were saying much more

When watching news clips of the "conflict"
No matter how hard I tried
I never saw the hateful enemy
Only the innocent people that had died

I would really appreciate an answer
If someone would kindly explain
Exactly how killing someone's child
Is a victory and not just unbearable pain


I ponder this while rocking my baby
My heart filled with such joy
The Lord blessed me with a miracle
Another precious baby boy

Will I be faced with the horror
Of sons being sent off to be killed
Knowing the only outcome of battle
Is innocent blood will be spilled

Do I tell my sons, "You shall not kill"
Is only a guideline for peace
You must take up arms with your brothers
Until we have slain the power-hungry beast

Please dear friends I beg you
Will you help me understand
How a nation can send our precious
Children out to kill their fellow man

If only our world leaders could see their
Angelic face with eyes so innocent and clear
They would put an end to this senseless fighting
And spread hope instead of fear