Harmony Hill and the wonderful people who live there are fictional.
Some of the stories they tell have been inspired by real people in my life.
I hope you enjoy my work. Most of the credit should go to my three sons
for the inspiration and spark of insanity I needed to write this entertaining blog.




Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Is Someone Listening

From the moment she first drew breath
As the outside air filled her lungs
She wanted to know if her voice was being heard
She had so much to share with this new world
And hoped someone would take the time to listen
She looked deep into the doctor's eyes
Searching for the answer
But he just handed her off to a nurse
Who quickly whisked her off to a scale.
She weighs 7 lb. 2 oz. and is 20 inches long
Eyes... blue
Hair... light
Frighten and cold she asked the nurse
Will you please take a moment to speak to me
What I have to say may be importance
The nurse was too efficient to take the time
Besides... it's not her job
Getting a baby's vital statistic is all she is required to do
How do you get someone to listen
Although she did her best to try
To get an answer to her question
 all she could do was cry
Her cries often went unanswered
No matter what she did
So
She learned to just keep quiet
The years passed
Off to her first day of school she went
Hoping to learn how to communicate
Now she would learn the secret
She would finally be heard
But
Instead of giving her the answer
Her teachers confirmed the terrible truth
What she needed to say was of no interest
So quietly she pondered
And lived life the best she could
For years she listened to other people's problem
As they prattled on about their lives
Always wondering when it was going to be her turn to speak
Then one day as she lies in bed
Her hair snow white against the flowered pillowcase
Too tired to ask another person
So weary from her search
Her soul still pining
For someone to just listen
I am listening
She heard as she drew her last breath
You have done well my child
Please sit down here beside me
I am anxious to hear all about it