Harmony Hill and the wonderful people who live there are fictional.
Some of the stories they tell have been inspired by real people in my life.
I hope you enjoy my work. Most of the credit should go to my three sons
for the inspiration and spark of insanity I needed to write this entertaining blog.




Saturday, March 10, 2012

Enough Is Enough


Hi Bella Nonna, sorry I missed your birthday.  I have been so depressed lately… time just got away from me. I hope it was a happy one.

Oh Alisa sweetheart, I’m so sorry to hear that you are feeling blue.  What is the problem; is it something I might be able to help you with?

I don’t know Bella Nonna… it is really nothing, I guess.  It is just you know…

Life… it has a way of creeping up on you Alisa and before you know it you are lost in a sea of blue funk. 

Come into the kitchen and sit at the table.  I will make a pot of tea and we can chat.  Maybe find you a life raft or something to help you navigate your blue ocean… sorry about the puns; old age I guess.

I love you Bella Nonna.  You always have just what I need… a little tea and sympathy with a generous helping of wisdom and cheesecake.

How did you know I had cheesecake?  You don’t have to answer that… when don’t I have cheesecake!

We are all set Alisa, what has gotten you so depressed?

I guess I have what the Life Coaches call the middle child or the forgotten child syndrome.  I am feeling kinda misunderstood, invisible and unhappy.

Hmmm… this calls for some of my birthday brownies.  You pour us some more tea and I will be right back with the brownies. 

Bella Nonna you amaze me… you have goodies stashed all over your kitchen!

Well I… yes, yes I do!  But these brownies are special…

BELLA NONNA I didn’t know you…

These are not special brownies you little ding bunny… these are brownies that are special to me. Get your head out of California… marijuana is legal there… see a girl can be savvy about the stuff and never tried it.  You are way too old for the just say no! talk.

Okay where was I before you accused me of baking with wacky weed? 

I was pouring tea and you were getting your… brownies.

Alisa, I bake a small batch of brownies every year for my birthday to remind me of a life lesson I learned on my 40th birthday. 

Just like you I paid attention to all the excuses the experts allowed me to use for not living my authentic life.  All of my unfulfilled dreams were not my fault… I was a middle child… I had no choice.   Luck for me I didn’t realize I was unhappy and misunderstood with oodles of unfulfilled dreams until I was forty. 

The night of my 40th birthday I sat alone in the moonlight eating all of my birthday brownies… because all of the loving and caring people in my life had forgotten my birthday and didn’t deserve any … I decided to go on a personal journey to discover me.

According to the experts I spent my life prior to forty in La La Land doing for others and not for myself.  Whoa…I should be really unhappy I thought and WHAM... instant depression. 

I spent the next ten years trying to catch up on all the unhappiness I missed out on while living my, unbeknownst to me, miserable unfulfilled materially deprived life.  I filled up three notebooks with all the advice the experts offered to help me solve my horrible dilemma.  I had page after page of advice on mindfulness, choosing reality over fantasy and how to consciously vibrate at a high positive frequency rather than a low negative one.  I have filled up Love Tanks, crashed through Blocks, kept a journal my dreams, contemplated life’s schemes and relanguaged and rewritten my life experiences.

I searched and searched for the answer; unfortunately I didn’t know the question.  But that was okay because I developed what some psychologists call ‘monkey brain’ and with all the chatter going on inside my brain I umm… What was I saying?  Oh yeah, if you’re happy and you know it don’t go looking for answers to someone else’s questions.  I did and all I got for my trouble was writer’s cramp… and a lot of kindling for the family picnic’s bonfire.